05 May 2007

BPM consultants should be SME's in... well BPM

Every sales cycle I endure the ploethera of calls asking for help in BPM but requiring subject matter expertise in a potential client's business. This is a dangerous requirement for BPM unplugged consultants. After all, our subject matter expertise needs to be in BPM.

When I think about successful customer outcomes for my own practice I think about what my real value is to my clients. It's getting them to be customer-centric in their culture, strategies, people and processes. So, when a potential client requires that I have certain subject matter expertise in some function or industry it's a pretty sure sign that what they are looking for is someone to deal with the details of its day to day business. But, this is not the role of a BPM consultant. Our role is to help our clients harvest the knowledge from their subject matter experts and facilitate an environment where they can be truly creative in addressing issues and conceiving solutions that change their future.

Many of my clients have been telecommunications companies. I've done much work in the high speed data and voice over IP (VoIP) domains. All of a sudden, potential clients see me as a high speed data or VoIP subject matter expert. I steadfastly deny any such claims. And, this is the danger. A BPM unplugged consultant who focuses on the subject matter of his/her client's business falls into two traps.

First, s/he ends up prescribing possible BPM solutions based upon his/her prejudiced knowledge of the subject matter. This constrains the consultant from being able to get his/her client and its team to think about new and different ways to solve current problems - to change for a better future. The result tends to be "built someplace else so it must work here" answer. At the very best, this gets the consultant's client to be only as good as the competitor where the solution was originally "built". This is not a great value-add for the client.

Second, s/he gets lost in the subject matter and loses perspective in the whole foundation of what BPM unplugged is all about.... successful customer outcomes. The consultant runs the risk of being just another subject matter expert within his/her client's organization, dealing with day-to-day problems. There is no focus on the future of doing things a whole new way. What's worse is a loss of that voice that says "let's not be just as good as the best competitor... let's be better."

When I talk to potential clients and the "subject" of subject matter expertise arises I quickly defer to my subject matter expertise... in BPM. Even with potential telecom clients, it is so easy to trip over things familiar to me. But, resisting the temptation and refocusing on what I do in BPM keeps me on track and solidifies what my potential client should expect from me. Then, if the potential client still wants to focus on understanding the subject matter of its business as a requirement, I know I must respectfully decline the engagement.

At the end of the day, we cannot be all things to all people. It's important to understand what my potential clients' successful customer outcomes with my consultation are. Equally as important is my recognition within the context of my own goals and objectives for BPM consulting whether I can actually or even want to meet them. And, if my potential client's expectation is that I be a subject matter expert in its business, then, that is one successful customer outcome I cannot meet.

2 comments:

Douglas Golden said...

Fantastic Post - I really think you hit on an important topic here. It's what totally scares me about getting into consulting at all. Although one could try to create him/herself as a niche consultant, it is rather limiting for both the consultant and the customer.

The key (as you explain) is for potential clients to understand that THE PROCESS is the thing that will set them apart from their competitors. If they are just trying to stay competitive, then a niche consultant who understands their market could probably help them do that. If they want to create a process that is designed to meet customers' expectations (and to become remarkable), they need a consultant that understands processes.

Unknown said...

Good post. It is a positive perspective. As a process consultant (which is the core of BPM), being an expert in the process should be the key.

I often argue (as a generalist) that knowing multiple industries and multiple functions brings more innovation to the BPM solution that being deep in one. Often those with more industry experience are challenged to think outside the rules that are embedded in their experience.